- Ph.D. in a relevant science or engineering field supplemented by no less than fifteen years experience including relevant, demonstrated accomplishments in scientific leadership and management.
- Knowledge and experience in technical management functions and practices. Experience in managing safe, efficient operations in a large scientific/research environment is required. Experience in managing within a DOE regulatory climate of environment, safety and health policies/orders, work rules and safe practices is preferred.
- Comprehensive leadership and management skills in attracting, managing and sustaining a highly competent and diverse interdisciplinary staff and maintaining an open and collegial environment. Knowledge and experience of financial/human resources management and reporting practices is preferred.
- Comprehensive skills and abilities in acquiring and maintaining relationships with multiple funding sources including the Basic Energy Sciences (BES) program and the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy program within DOE. Preferred candidates will have experience and relationships with the Chemical Sciences, Geosciences, and Biosciences (CSGB) Division of BES.
- Considerable skill in oral and written communications skills and the ability to work with high level internal and external contacts. Must either have or be able to attain/maintain a "Q" level security clearance.
Chartered in 1946 as the nation’s first national laboratory, Argonne is one of the preeminent multidisciplinary research facilities in the U.S. located about 25 miles southwest of Chicago. It enters the 21st century focused on solving the major scientific and engineering challenges of our time through a broad portfolio of fundamental and applied research in the areas of: sustainable energy, a clean environment, economic competitiveness, and national security. Argonne is home to a staff of over 3,300 employees including over 1,500 scientists, engineers and postdoctoral scholars and, with world-renowned scientific facilities, hosts over 6,500 facility users annually. For a description of divisional programs, please visit the CSE home page at http://www.anl.gov/cse .
Argonne offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. For consideration, please apply via our website at: http://bit.ly/2fyYTU7. Your application should include a comprehensive curriculum vitae to include publications, awards and patents. To ensure full consideration, applications should be received no later than January 31, 2017. The position will remain open until filled.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Argonne Laboratory is located about 25 miles southwest of Chicago and is operated by UChicago Argonne, LLC for the U.S. Department of Energy.