Pay Range: $16.76 to $20.95 per hour, depending on experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Position Summary: The University of Idaho is hiring a Sustainability and Student Engagement Coordinator to join its Sustainability Center staff. The coordinator will work with the office's current full time staff and in collaboration with students and colleagues across the university to advance the Sustainability Center's mission, vision, and goals. A student-led and student-funded organization, the Sustainability Center supports efforts to create an active culture of sustainability. We are committed to developing and maintaining healthful, educational living environments while fully integrating sustainable practices at the University of Idaho. Sustainability involves reorganizing our life support systems: climate, energy, biodiversity, food, consumerism and consumption, waste, water, transportation and built environment. We do this through projects that reduce our environmental footprint and increase participation and collaboration among students, faculty, staff and community members in addressing sustainability-related issues. This position will play an important role in mentoring student leaders throughout the process of planning, coordinating, and implementing student engagement activities, as well as, administrative support responsibilities, and other duties as assigned. This position reports to the Sustainability Center Director.
- Bachelors degree or three (3) years of directly related experience.
- Knowledge and technical skills in one or more sustainability issue areas including climate change, renewable energy, water conservation, biodiversity, food systems, consumerism and consumption, waste minimization, recycling, alternative transportation, and other related areas.
- Experience with student engagement, service learning, or volunteering activities.
- Experience in planning, implementing, and managing sustainability related events.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Experience using computers and modern technology including MS Office software.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment while managing multiple projects.
- Ability to begin work at 7:00 a.m. on Monday or Tuesday mornings for student staff meetings.
- Willingness to work odd hours and weekends.
- BS in Environmental Science or a related field.
- Experience working with and mentoring students within a university setting.
- Experience supervising students.
- Experience writing, editing and developing marketing materials for electronic, print and social media.
- Experience with hiring practices.
- Ability to present to college classes.
- Ability to calculate cost and carbon savings
- Familiarity with or ability to learn Banner Finance software.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions: - Ability to sit or stand at a desk and move across campus.- Ability to occasionally lift and carry items weighing approximately 30 pounds.
Posting Number: SP001904P
Posting Date: 08/06/2018
Closing Date: 8/26/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates may be required to pass a criminal background check.
Since 1889, the University of Idaho has provided motivated students with a transformative higher education experience that prepares them to solve real-world problems and achieve success in their lives and careers. Beginning with our beautiful residential campus in Moscow, the university’s reach extends throughout Idaho, serving over 12,000 students with educational centers in Coeur d’Alene, Boise and Idaho Falls, a research and extension center in Twin Falls, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. One of the nation’s land-grant research universities, U of I is a noted national leader in student-centered learning and interdisciplinary research that promotes public service. Our work serves businesses and communities, advancing the pursuit of diversity, citizenship and global outreach.