TITLE: Senior Director of Development & Major Giving FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Exempt HOURS: Full Time RESPONSIBLE TO: President/Executive Director DIRECT REPORTS: Director of Annual Giving & Events; Director of Institutional Giving; Philadelphia Relationship Manager LOCATION: Chicago, IL
Depaul USA is the Chicago-based, US affiliate of the international homelessness services organization Depaul International. We support homeless and marginalized people around the world, providing people experiencing homelessness with purpose and hope for a positive future. Our vision is that everyone has a place to call home and a stake in his or her community. In cities across the nation, we meet people where they are to address their needs. Through a combination of homelessness services and a growing housing portfolio, Depaul USA is innovating and bringing real solutions to those facing homelessness.
Depaul USA is a growing, national, not-for-profit organization that serves more than 2,500 people annually and has a combined operating and capital budget of approximately $5 million. Our Vincentian values underpin what we do:
• We celebrate the potential of people; • We put our words into action; • We aim to take a wider role in civil society; and • We believe in rights and responsibilities.
The person in this new position will be responsible for leading a four-person development team to secure major gifts, foundation and corporate grants, manage the annual fund program and support local events in six cities.
The Senior Director of Development and Major Giving will develop the major giving program by building relationships with donors and prospects, existing and new, through thoughtful planning and execution of the donor cycle identification, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgement and stewardship of prospects and donors to Depaul USA. The Senior Director will create a major giving plan that will build upon the successes of the annual fund progam and current major giving successes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Management 1. Effectively develop and retain a talented and diverse Development Department team. 2. Facilitate development and achievement of professional and personal goals for self and staff. 3. Lead the Development Department team in creating a comprehensive annual development plan to include annual fund and events, major giving, and foundation giving, plus preliminary assessment of planned giving opportunities. 4. In collaboration with the President/Executive Director and/or the Director of Finance, prepare annual budget for development operations. 5. Report regularly to the board and senior management, including key fundraising information, performance against targets, and current levels of income. 6. Routinely confer with the President/Executive Director to ensure that Depaul USA’s work is portrayed in a way that maximizes fundraising potential while remaining consistent with a fair and balanced representation of the issues facing and services provided for Depaul USA clients. 7. Keep abreast of fundraising developments at the parent company and across the sector, liaising with senior fundraising staff, reading relevant materials, and attending seminars and conferences as agreed. 8. Develop and sustain strategies for communications and public relations, with focus on all targeted donor and prospect sectors cultivated on behalf of Depaul USA. 9. Oversee and assist with the execution of the annual fund.
10. Oversee the events' plan and the foundation funding plan by their respective directors.
11. Lead the transition to comprehensive usage of available technology by all staff having donor contact. The software includes Results Plus donor management system, Granthub and Classy, a peer-to-peer fundraising platform for events. 12. Other duties as assigned.
Major Giving Responsibilities 1. Create a plan for the major giving program, to include goals and objectives, strategies and tactics, a timeline, budget and projected revenue (if there is enough information available to warrant a revenue projection this year). 2. Develop and implement strategy for major gift donors throughout the donor cycle. 3. Manage a targeted pool of major and leadership gift prospects. 4. Arrange cultivation and solicitation visits with donors and prospects for self and the President/Executive Director, and record all contacts. 5. Create and maintain strong relationships with donors, volunteers, other headquarters staff, and program staff throughout the six-city Depaul USA network. This position involves travel. 6. Advise and train the Board of Directors in how to support Depaul USA’s fundraising priorities, including the use of effective committees. 7. Advise and train program staff in how to support fundraising priorities, including how to recruit effective committee members for the local advisory councils.
8. Monitor and report on annual fundraising goals and expense budgets to the President/ Executive Director and the Board. 9. Actively participate in and play a leadership role as appropriate at donor events and Board meetings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. 2. A minimum of three-to-five years of experience in major giving. 3. A track record of successfully soliciting major gifts from individuals. This person must demonstrate substantial staff and volunteer management experience. 4. Prior supervisory experience is preferred as well as a management style that is communicative and organized, and can delegate effectively. 5. Exceptional written and oral communication skills. Presentation ability should be compelling and persuasive. 6. Ability to handle multiple projects and effectively manage and set priorities. 7. Goal oriented, comfortable in initiating programs, creating and cultivating relationships with donors and prospects and working with board members. 8. Strong interpersonal skills; organization skills; and the ability to work in a team and all levels of the organization.
Depaul USA is part of Depaul International, parent of the Depaul Group, a worldwide family of charities working with people who are homeless. The Depaul Group is inspired by the values of Saint Vincent de Paul, a major social reformer in 17th Century France. Depaul works to support people who are homeless and marginalized around the world.
It serves six cities in the United States: Chicago, Little Rock, Macon, New Orleans, Philadelphia and St. Louis.